Affidavits and Notary Services

A sworn declaration is a document with a set of statements that you declare and affirm to be true.  You need to do this in front of “Commissioner of Oaths”.  A Commissioner is someone authorized by the Province of Ontario to witness certain kinds of sworn declarations.  You could be asked to affirm a declaration when you apply to the government for something or by a company when they need information from you.  It may be a form given to you or you may be expected to write it yourself.

Sometimes government forms ask you to sign them in front of a “notary public”.  A notary public is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to witness the swearing of oaths and to certify documents. Declarations that will be sent outside of Ontario need to be “notarized”. You may also need the services of a notary if you require certified copies of documents.  We can make photocopies and then “certify” them as copies of the original by having the notary public sign the copies. Lawyers are usually notaries.

In certain situations, our clinic can help you if you need to have a document commissioned or if you need a notary to witness a document or make certified true copies of documents.  You must be financially eligible for this service.

The situations in which our office assists with affidavits and notarizing documents are:

  • Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) affidavits;
  • A subsidized housing provider may ask you to provide an affidavit about your income or the need for priority/urgent housing for a London Housing unit;
  • Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program or another government office wants forms or applications commissioned.

Unfortunately, we do not offer services for the following:

  • Corporate or business declarations
  • Land transfer tax affidavits or any real estate documents
  • Family law proceedings